Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Review

So after a few hard weeks of training I have some new numbers to share and a bit of information I would like to share.

I am currently on/completed day 17 of Ross Enamait's Never Gymless program. I have been keeping up with the workouts and not missing any days, as well as doing the program as designed. It still continues to be challenging yet exciting! Today was a strength workout and ab circuit. The strength workout today involves 4 sets of quality sets which means a few reps short of failure. The number of my reps are going up by quite a bit. 4 sets of 5 1 arm push-ups, 4 sets 12 pistol squats, 4 sets 10 pull up variations, 4 sets 10-12 body weight triceps extensions, 4 sets 12 heavy resistance bands leg curls, 4 sets 12 - 15 single calf raises, 4 sets 5 to 6 depth handstand push ups. all numbers have gone up as far as rep ranges are concerned by at least 2 or 3 reps. I make these body weight strength training days as difficult as possible to raise the total strength gain as much as possible and it is working. The ab circuit was a good core blast. 15- v-ups 15- band slams 10 rotational band twists and bicycle sit ups until it burns so bad you have to stop. Perform this circuit without rest in between exercises and minimal rest between sets, with 3 to 5 sets.

I am still on a strict paleo diet with the exception of 2 cheat meals so far. I was finding it difficult to push as hard as I want to with the lack of carbs, I am now starting to level out and things seem to be working just fine. I recommend sweet potatoes and more fruit if performance is an issue, but I am also trying to achieve a low level of body fat so I am limiting the amount of fruit I eat, which brings me to my next topic.

Since last time, I was lacking my body fat % as you can see all my numbers present in blog entry titled day 1. I have been doing a waist measurement method that is less than accurate, but it still shows results nonetheless. I have been using it until I could get my hands on some actual fat calipers. This is what it told me

Sept. 8th Body Fat% 17.9755
waist 34.5
weight 161.2

Sept 16th Body Fat% 16.04
waist 32.25
weight 162.6

Sept 23rd Body Fat% 15.40
waist 32
weight 162.6

Now I was skeptical of the body fat % I was figuring that from the start I was maybe 11 to 15 %
almost 18% does not fit what my figure looks like. So I decided to go get some actual calipers and do a seven fold pinch test. I highly recommend this site for general information and overall guidelines http://www.exrx.net/ in it you will find the proper way to approach accurate fat% measurements.

These are my results from the more accurate 7 fold test.

Sept 23rd Body Fat% 9.7749
waist 32
weight 162.6
additional information
146.7059 lbs of lean muscle
15.894067 lbs of total fat

This seems to fit my profile much better and also the test was more accurate. So if we look at the numbers from the start we can see body fat loss of 2.57% which would roughly translate to a starting body fat percent of about 12 to 13 which seems to be correct once we look at the more accurate 9.7749 percent. I will be doing the 7 fold test from now on every week or so to track progress, show progress, as well as how progress will slow down and what we can do about that!